Police & Public Safety
Metro Firefighters Respond to Christmas Tree Fire
Several Occupants Displaced From Fire Related Damage
SACRAMENTO – January 21st, 11:30pm – Metro, and Sacramento City Firefighters responded to 2501 Hurley Way to a report of a fire in a second story apartment. Fire Crews arrived and found a single apartment unit on the second story well involved with fire. Fire Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire, containing it to the original unit. Metro Fire crews determined the cause to be a candle left to close to a dried out Christmas tree that was still in the apartment.
An occupant told firefighters they were home when the fire started, but the fire spread too quickly to control. This fire left six people without a home, the Red Cross arrived to assist them. There were no reported injuries. The fire was extinguished by thirty firefighters in 25 minutes, with an estimated $65,000 in damage.
This is one of many candle related fires in the last twenty days. Fires in multifamily dwellings in the middle of the night have a potential for significant life loss.
Remember to have working smoke detectors for early warning. It is time to remove your Christmas tree from your home and dispose of it properly. Sign up for our safety newsletter at sacmetrofire.ca.gov.