A Favorite Summer Dessert Reimagined With California Avocados
Try enhancing key lime pie with delicious California avocados.
(NAPSI)—After all the hard work of getting into tip-top shape for the summer season, many folks have a tinge of guilt while they enjoy those traditional picnic dishes.
Fortunately for summer foodies everywhere, Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD—better known as The Meal Makeover Moms—have partnered with the California Avocado Commission to put a healthy spin on a summer favorite…pie.
Desserts made with fresh, seasonal produce are a great way to celebrate the summer. With California avocados in season from spring to fall, they are a delicious ingredient for any summer dish, including dessert. The Meal Makeover Moms reimagined the traditional Key Lime Pie and developed a zesty California Avocado Yogurt Key Lime Pie recipe that combines limes, creamy Greek yogurt and avocados nestled inside a delicious homemade graham cracker crust.
One might not immediately think of avocados as something to use in baking, but the versatile California avocado adds a creamy rich flavor to any recipe. In addition to their consistent quality and exceptional flavor, they also offer an array of nutritional benefits. California avocados are naturally sodium and cholesterol free and contain “good” fats (both poly- and monounsaturated fats), along with nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Since the greatest concentration is in the dark green fruit closest to the peel, The Meal Makeover Moms suggest nicking and peeling the skin from the avocado to get to the most nutrient-rich fruit.
To view more of The Meal Makeover Moms’ recipes or learn about California avocados, visit www.CaliforniaAvocado.com.
California Avocado Yogurt Key Lime Pie
2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, quartered, peeled and seeded
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup light agave nectar
1 lime, zested
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup lime juice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
Graham Cracker Almond Crust (see make-ahead recipe below)
Raspberries and light whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
1. Place avocados in the bowl of a food processor with the yogurt, agave, lime zest and vanilla extract; pulse until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Set aside.
2. Place the coconut milk in a small saucepan and bring to low boil. Set aside. Place the lime juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice and let stand 1 minute. Gently whisk in the hot coconut milk. Continue to whisk until the gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in the avocado mixture until well combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Carefully transfer to the refrigerator and chill, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours. Garnish with optional toppings. (Store leftovers in the refrigerator and cover with plastic wrap.)
Graham Cracker Almond Crust
1/2 cup unsalted, whole roasted almonds
7 whole graham crackers (14 squares)
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 egg white
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add the graham crackers, sugar and salt and pulse until finely ground. Add the butter and egg white and pulse until evenly moistened and combined.
3. Press the crumb mixture firmly on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Cool completely before filling.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 220; Total Fat 11 g (Sat 2.5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1.5 g, Mono 6 g); Cholesterol less than 5 mg; Sodium 100 mg; Potassium 340 mg; Total Carbohydrates 27 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Total Sugars 19 g; Protein 6 g