Winning Ideas For Your Tailgating Season
Dressing a burger or hot dog in a way that’s both savory and sweet is one of the latest tailgating trends.
(NAPSI)—For many, football season means tailgating and that’s no accident. Fans have enjoyed the two of them together, literally since the beginning.
It’s believed the first documented tailgating event took place in 1869 during a football game between PrincetonUniversity and Rutgers University—the first collegiate football game on record.
Although tailgating has come a long way since then, the practice still centers on one key element—sharing food with friends before the “big event”—whether that’s a game, a concert or even another party.
Doing it Your Way
Everybody has his or her favorite tailgate traditions.
For some, tailgating is all about grilling. Others prefer the picnic approach, with appetizers, sandwiches and salads. Regardless of your preference, it’s easy to make your tailgates special this football season.
To help, here are some tips from a family-owned company best known for its line of bread products made from their Original Hawaiian Sweet recipe—KING’S HAWAIIAN.
The Fun Is in the Bun
For many, tailgating is all about the thrill of the grill. However, whether you are featuring hot dogs or hamburgers, it’s important to remember that a lot depends on having the right bun.
Whether you are someone who likes to dress your dog with just a spot of mustard or ketchup or you prefer to go all the way on your burger, topping it with tomato, avocado, onion and pickle, never underestimate the importance of the bun.
The key is to find a bun designed to keep all your favorite toppings and flavors together in every bite.
For example, Original Hawaiian Sweet Hamburger Buns are made to deliver a uniquely soft and fluffy texture with just the right touch of sweetness. These hamburger buns are ideally sized for your signature backyard burger, and perfect for the classic “savory and sweet” combination everyone loves.
For the hot dog−lovers at your tailgate, the Hot Dog Buns offer a signature “top-cut” design to keep all your favorite toppings and flavors together in every bite, and are perfect for either hot dogs or grilled sausages.
To make things even easier, there are recipes to please every tailgater on the KING’S HAWAIIAN website, including the Maui Burger: Maui onion, pineapple rings, and a red pepper spice between Original Hawaiian Sweet Sandwich Buns or Hamburger Buns.
- 1 KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Sandwich Bun or Hamburger Bun
- 1 (8-oz.) Angus hamburger
- Spicy aioli (recipe below)
- Your favorite teriyaki sauce
- 1 slice American cheese
- 2 oz. thinly sliced Maui or Vidalia onion
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 slice pineapple
- 1 leaf lettuce
- Pickles and olives to garnish
1. Place hamburger patty on grill to desired doneness.
2. Toast sandwich bun or hamburger bun on grill.
3. Toast pineapple slice on grill.
4. To assemble burger, spread spicy aioli on each slice of roll; between buns, place hamburger, which has been brushed with teriyaki sauce, then add cheese, tomato slices, lettuce, pineapple and onion.
5. Serve with pickles and olives.
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder, cayenne pepper or shichimi togarashi (Japanese red pepper condiment, available in Asian grocery stores)
For more family-favorite recipes, visit the website at www.kingshawaiian.com/recipes or call (877) 695-4227.