This Spring, Power Up With These Tips
Photo credit: Amanda Mills/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Experts say eating and drinking less sugar and salt—including sugary sodas and juices—may help you “spring” into a healthier you.
(NAPSI)—What sounds more like spring than the crack of a bat hitting a baseball or the screech of sneakers on a court? Spring is a great time to get back to the track, field or blacktop for fun and healthy competition. Play to win this season, and fuel your game with healthy eating. You may build habits to help you move more, eat better and stay in shape throughout the year.
Challenge yourself to better health this spring with these tips from the Weight-control Information Network (WIN), a national information service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health:
Power Up for the Game
• Eat more whole grains, vegetables, fruits, lean meats, seafood, beans and peas, nuts, and low-fat or nonfat dairy products.
• Eat and drink less sugar and salt, including sugary sodas and juices.
Get and Stay Active
• No time? Exercise before work, during your lunch break or before dinner.
• Stay energized by playing ball or working out with friends.
Spring into Healthier Habits
• Did you slip into unhealthy habits this winter? This spring, make realistic and gradual changes to improve your diet and physical activity level.
Find more tips in WIN’s “Climb These Steps to a Healthier You” and “We Challenge You to Improve Your Health.” Try these tips at home, at the gym or at your local community center, where they can help you and others in your area eat better, exercise more and work to get to and stay at a healthy weight. Contact WIN for your copies.
For more information, call WIN at 1-877-946-4627 or visit www.win.niddk.nih.gov. Read WIN’s “Climb These Steps to a Healthier You” at www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/PDFs/Changing_Your_Habits_Flyer.pdf and “We Challenge You to Improve Your Health” at www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/PDFs/Getting_on_Track_Flyer_508.pdf. Like WIN on Facebook at www.facebook.com/win.niddk.nih.gov.