Rebates 101: Five Steps To Finding Free Money
You may be able to save quite a bit on appliances when you research for rebates.
(NAPSI)--Good news for homeowners looking to upgrade their house without seriously downgrading their finances: Product rebates are available for many kinds of energy-efficient home appliances.
Why? The government and utilities both want consumers to use less energy, and one way they hope to influence people is by offering incentives to purchase more energy-efficient models. For a homeowner, that means saving more on the initial purchase and on monthly utility bills.
How? Try these tips:
1. Check with your utility company. Electric companies often offer rebates on energy-efficient products. Visit their website and search for a listing of available rebates by appliance category, along with the qualification, incentive and application. If you can’t find information online, call the customer service number listed on your last bill.
2. Research government rebates. Government programs such as the ENERGY STAR rebate locator let you enter your zip code and type of appliance at www.energystar.gov to find special offers.
3. Search the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE) website, www.dsireusa.org, for residential rebates and incentives in your state.
4. Look for in-store signage. Signs and brochures next to appliance displays often outline available offers and some store personnel are trained to relay available rebates.
5. Visit manufacturer websites. Some appliance manufacturers make it even easier to locate rebates through easy-to-use online search functions. For example, GE Appliances’ Rebate Finder lets you enter your zip code and the appliance you’re shopping for to view a list of rebates and immediately download rebate applications. Visit www.geappliances.com/rebates_promotions to learn more, including how you might be able to earn money for recycling your old model. To make rebate and appliance research as easy as possible, a rebate finder is located on every appliance model page.
Rebates can help you save a considerable amount of money when it comes to appliance purchases. By making research a part of your appliance shopping, you won’t miss out on great savings.